Shadelands is ideally located to become the Bay Area’s home to the next generation of thought leaders in medicine, education, science, manufacturing, education, arts, technology, music, community service and more. Its lively eco-system brings together business people, athletes, artists, musicians, entrepreneurs, medical practitioners and their patients, students, gardeners, companies and their clients, community service organizations, and even craft beer aficionados.
To get the complete story, visit Shadelands online at www.shadelands.org.
WHAT’S NEW AT SHADELANDS—Winter 2016–2017
- Shadelands Block Party, a free lunchtime party for Shadelands property owners, tenants, and employees held on the grounds of the Ultimate Fieldhouse in October 2016, was attended by close to 1,000 people who enjoyed hot dogs from Top Dog of Berkeley and the live music of The Lumberyard! This was a great opportunity for Shadelands community members to meet their neighbors and find out what’s new in the neighborhood!
- Calicraft Brewing Company, an East Bay brewery known for its fresh styles and Bay-centric beer titles, opened the doors to its new taproom in Shadelands in July 2016.
- The Orchards, located on twenty-five acres at the corner of Ygnacio Valley Road and Oak Grove Road, is a lifestyle center with a state-of-the-art Safeway supermarket (which opened in September 2016), a refreshing mix of retail (including Crunch Fitness, Stein Mart, and Petco), indoor and outdoor dining, and seven acres of distinctive outdoor spaces for all ages, including a children’s park, walking trails, and designated areas for community functions. For more information, visit The Orchards.
- The Ultimate Fieldhouse, completed in December 2015, is a 40,000-square-foot state of the art recreation facility that provides opportunities for boys and girls to improve as athletes and grow as young adults. The venue boasts four regulation, full-length basketball courts, a separate training court featuring five baskets, and shooting machines to provide practice repetitions for players, with a total of 32 baskets.
- The Shadelands SportsMall, a one-of-a-kind sports training mecca, will be home to local athletic programs including soccer, basketball, swimming, gymnastics, baseball, volleyball, yoga, martial arts, strength & conditioning, cognitive training, speed & agility training, and a cafe and barber shop.
- The Shadelands Walnut Creek Police Department field office, opened in September 2016, is a work station for patrol officers who are assigned to that area of Walnut Creek, known as Sector Three. Officers will provide a police presence at Shadelands and be able to conduct non-emergency police business without having to travel Ygnacio Valley Road all the way back to City Hall.
- The Contra Costa School of Performing Arts, a new public charter school, opened its doors to 300 students in August 2016, at 150 N. Wiget Lane. The non-sectarian, tuition-free school is open to any student who wants to attend, serves students 6th through 12th grades, and is the first upper grade school to call Shadelands home.
- Civic Arts Education is now Center for Community Arts. For more than 50 years, CCA been the regional center for arts learning, providing opportunities for all to explore and discover, and providing high-quality visual and performing arts instruction and educational experiences to participants of all ages and at all stages of life.
- The Plum Healthcare Skilled Nursing Center, to be built on land once owned by the Contra Costa Times, will be a 37,000-square-foot, 59-bed private skilled nursing center for post-acute care and designed specifically for short-stay recovery for high-acuity patients.
- New Zoning Amendments: In March 2016, the Walnut Creek City Council adopted zoning amendments, proposed by the Shadelands Steering Committee, allowing greater zoning flexibility. Click here to see how the city is supporting Shadelands as a world-class business center that attracts diverse and innovative businesses, enhances property values, and enriches quality of life for businesses, customers, and visitors.
- Press Room: Shadelands is in the news! Click here to read how Shadelands is making headlines.
Click here to see what else is happening at Shadelands!